The ACC National Indigenous Forum (NIF) continues to build on the initiatives to create awareness and engage with the Indigenous people of our nation.
Stats & Facts
Constituents: 6% of ACC constituents identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander (ACC Census 2016)
Churches: 21% of churches do direct work with Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people (ACC Census 2016)
Indigenous Credentialed Pastors: The follow reflect the Indigenous pastors credentialed with the ACC.
Training, Equipping, Resources
The Indigenous Initiative hosts an annual, national Indigenous Conference with the aim of training, equipping, resourcing, networking and relationship building. The 2015 and 2016 conferences were held in Far North Queensland, with attendances of over 200 delegates per conference. In 2017, the conference will located in Victoria, to further the extension of the conference and create a greater awareness of the Indigenous Initiative and the ACC.
Specifically, we have defined the following goals:
- To provide a forum where attendees can draw on teaching and group discussion to imagine new possibilities, whether in the context of Church plating or growth of their churches.
- Identify aspects of teaching and learning that could be improved or made more effective with Indigenous language.
- Explore the enhancements that could be accomplished through cooperative efforts within our own movement.
- To lay the groundwork for establishing a collective voice on positive stories and issues facing Indigenous Chris ans.
- Learn about and de ne the primary hurdles that face each of us as individuals and as part of the various constituencies to which we belong.
- Form stronger working relationships, both intra- and inter- institutional, built on better understanding of mutual goals and awareness of individual challenges.
- To introduce attendees to existing ministries and technological enhancements that they may implement at their own organisations.
- Offer hands-on workshops that provide concrete instruction.
- Invite vendors to answer questions and offer solutions for their products/initiatives
The Indigenous Initiative and several other pastors have been supporting the Oenpelli (Gunbalanya ) community -an Aboriginal community in west Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory for over six years. This year we will assist the Leaders in the building of a community church in the heart of Oenpell.
- Michelle Tamwoy appointed as National Indigenous Representative on the Industry Advisory Group for Alphacrucis.
- Aaron Wallace appointed as the Regional Leader for the Country North West District & also appointed by the state of Victoria as the new representative for the Indigenous Initiative.
- National Indigenous Conferences. The steady growth and awareness of who the ACC Indigenous Initiative is.
- 45 Torres Strait Islander leaders trained in the Safer Churches Workshop on Thursday Island.
The creation of a NAIDOC clip to be sent out to all ACC Churches, with the purpose of;
- Fundraising to become self sufficient and initiate training and scholarships for up and coming Indigenous Leaders
- To enhance an awareness and understanding about NAIDOC week, its purpose and significance in the Indigenous Calendar of events
- Establish a cooperative e ort within our movement that highlights a Working Together Partnership.
The creation of a Positional Paper: Following the movement’s initiative of developing positional papers on a variety of current issues, the NIF has taken the lead on the development of an Indigenous Inclusion positional paper in conjunction with the National Executive. The focus has been to lay a firm biblical foundation as we journey together in promoting recognition and acceptance of our shared story and healing towards the goal of becoming an inclusive movement of churches which fully embraces indigenous and non-indigenous people alike.
Goals and vision
Vision of the ACC Indigenous Forum (AIF) is to build strong relationships, strong culture, strong partnerships, strong communities
Our Mission Statement and Purpose Statement is:
- To empower, endorse and promote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders and pastors.
- To resource churches and leaders to effectively connect with Christ and each other to build the Australian Church.
WILL DUMAS NATIONAL DIRECTOR